Welcome to this fortnight’s Great Ideas, the Venture Dorm edition!
With all of the excitement of this year’s transition into an 8 week model, introducing pitch nights and Demo Day and the addition of a Byron Bay Venture Dorm to our regional programs, it’s been a big year for your favourite pre-accelerator program. We’ve had 3 incredible Demo Day winners – Janvhi of Feel the Beatz (Metro), Maxine of The Hemp Collective (Byron) and Jamie of Theatrix VR (Limestone Coast), over 40 startup founders and countless mentors go through the course – and we’re only just over halfway through 2019.
It’s been an amazing year for Venture Dorm. But it’s not over yet…
In this issue of Great Ideas, we’re focusing on Venture Dorm, with a highlight on Rachel Kidwell of TCPinpoint, a case study on the program’s lasting effect on entrepreneurs, and a call out for the upcoming (and final) intakes for 2019.
A big year calls for a big celebration.
We’re also in the midst of planning the eNVIes, the culmination-meets-party that brings Venture Dormers, Innovation and Enterprise students, regional, local and past, present NVI program participants, mentors and pretty much anyone who’s a part of our wonderful community, together.
It’s been a little while since our last eNVIes, so here’s a quick video to remind you of NVI’s night of nights.
This year, we’re changing what the eNVIes means for NVI, Flinders and the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem. If you’d like to be amongst the few who will be pitching on the night for a chance to join the eNVI.US Startup Founders mission to the US in 2020, read on to find out more about Venture Dorm – all Demo Day winners get the opportunity to pitch for the Gold eNVIe.
We hope you enjoy finding a little more out about the Venture Dorm experience.
The NVI Team.
Venture Dorm is where great businesses begin – but what happens to the startups that emerge from Venture Dorm? Where do they go? Is the pre-accelerator right for your business idea?
To find out, we talked to two alumni of the program: Rachel Kidwell and Ben Tripodi, In this case study, you’ll learn why they chose Venture Dorm, what their experiences were like, and what their advice is for you if you’re thinking of starting your own business, working on an existing startup, need mentors and guidance or just want to test your capabilities.
Venture Dorm has a long-lasting impact on entrepreneurs and this Case Study follows both Ben and Rachel’s business stories, from their first startups to the businesses they run now.
Fill out the form below to receive a copy to download and read the Venture Dorm Pre-accelerator Case Study.
MEET: Rachel Kidwell, the founder of TCPinpoint, a cloud-based process management tool that simplifies and streamlines the often chaotic process of opening retail stores for trade. TCPinpoint’s software has replaced the archaic use of Excel spreadsheets, emails and disparate document management systems, bringing the whole process into the 21st century, with sleek User Interfaces.
JOINED NVI: TCPinpoint began in 2016 with Rachel’s journey through Venture Dorm. Since graduating from Venture Dorm, Rachel has powered forward as a longtime member of eNVIsion, taking TCPinpoint from just an idea in her head to: participating in both the South Start and Springboard accelerator programs and winning TechInSA and Venture Catalyst grants, journeying to the US on our eNVI.US 19 Startup Founders mission in 2019 and now, leading an ever-growing team. TCPinpoint is a powerhouse of efficiency, with major clients including, ISPT, Flinders University, Setting Up Shop, Fort Street Capital and Adelaide Airport.
FUTURE: Rachel and the TCPinpoint team have their sights set on completing the Terminal expansion project at Adelaide Airport and exploring international markets and global opportunities. Team TC show no signs of slowing down, expanding their focus from the retail vertical (stores that design and sell their own products) to commercial and residential verticals (business offices and apartment complexes).
If you’re a property owner, project manager or tenancy coordinator looking to create more efficiencies in your projects, click the button below to see how TCPinpoint can help you.
Are you ready to take your business idea to the next level? We’re now accepting applications for Venture Dorm intake #2 – for Metro, the Limestone Coast, Barossa – Yorke – Mid North AND Byron Bay!
- Venture Dorm Metro, starting July 23rd: Apply here.
- Venture Dorm Limestone Coast, starting September 9th: Apply here.
- Sourdough Pre-Accelerator Program (Byron), starting August 13th: Apply here.
- Venture Dorm Barossa Yorke Mid North starting September 9th: Register your interest here.
Need a little more convincing? Watch Matt Stead of Ping Services testimonial on the Venture Dorm experience – and then get in touch!
And now back to regular programming…
Bert, our senior lecturer in Innovation & Enterprise spoke to Forge magazine about how you can define your success as a founder and the work that goes in along the way.
Get inside Bert’s mind for a little while in this fantastic thought piece on what the first 90 days of your entrepreneurial venture should look like.
If you’d like to read the article, follow the link below – it’s free for you thanks to the people at Forge magazine!
Feed Your Brain | Prioritisation 101 with Heather Falckh
This Feed Your Brain session will explore a range of techniques and options, and focus on a simple prioritisation matrix. This session is interactive and includes an activity to sort the actions that will help you to achieve your goals. Work with expert Heather in a fun, open setting at Flinders University – a new location for our Feed Your Brain sessions.
July 19, 1 – 2pm @ Studio 2 (behind Grind and Press), Flinders University
TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE
World Legal Summit
The world is rapidly transforming. The increasing development and adoption of new technologies is affecting existing systems and paving the way toward previously unimaginable global systems. The World Legal Summit is an initiative designed to bring together the legal and technology industries in collaboration toward a sustainable future. Spaces are limited, but you can register to be part of the conversation using the link below!
August 1, 8.30 – 2pm @ Level 5, Flinders at Tonsley
TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE
Unleash SA’s Energy Opportunities | Panel Discussion
EnergyLab and Flinders NVI have teamed up to launch EnergyLab in SA. EnergyLab was founded to support new business and technological initiatives that move the world toward 100% clean energy solutions. Panelists will be announced soon, and the (free) tickets are going fast! We’d love for you to join us in a discussion to analyse, scrutinise and talk through the energy opportunities in SA.
August 15th 5:30 – 9:00pm @ Lecture Theatre 1, Flinders at Tonsley
TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE
We published our first edition of Local Connections! And it was great!
Our first edition of the regional business newsletter that should DEFINITELY be on your open list went out, and it was a collection of local events, business news, great news from our Limestone Coast Venture Dormers, check ins with schools and more. Our next edition is due to go out mid-July, so make sure you’re signed up! Until then, you can also catch up on the last one by reading it here.
If you’d like to sign up to Local Connections, click the button below and we’ll make sure you get the first edition. The form is on the eNVIsion Limestone Coast page, just scroll down to fill it out.
Want more news from the NVI stratosphere?
Here’s what else has been happening.
- ICYMI, we ran Education Hack 4.0 here at Flinders at Tonsley, and brought 6 South Australian schools together to embrace the future of education! Read all about the incredible event, meet the judges and see the winning projects of this Cisco Digital Schools Network event HERE... or just check out the photo album HERE.
- Exciting news from our neighbours over at Zen Energy and Simec Energy Australia. They’ve just secured the contract to install one of Australia’s largest rooftop solar arrays right HERE at Tonsley Innovation District! Congratulations to the team, we can’t wait to look out at a sea of solar. Read the release HERE.
- Are you based in Sydney or visiting in August? Make sure you make time for Co:LAB4’s event: (re)imagining the future of work, workforce and workplaces. A practical, interactive + inspiring workshop on how to build a workplace people love. Hear global case studies from international speakers. Tickets are selling fast, but you can grab yours HERE.
- The team at Don Dunstan Foundation are hosting the 2019 Prevent Homelessness Conference this August. Get your tickets and be part of the solution HERE.
- Applications are now open for 2020 Westpac Social Change Fellowships. Ten Fellowships valued up to $50,000 each are available! Invest in your own development as a Westpac Scholar. Find out more and apply HERE.
- The 2019 Business SA Design for Export awards are now calling for entries. If you’re a designer who has started exporting a product, no matter what scale, apply now for your chance to win. More information can be found HERE.
- A huge congratulations to the GoMicro team, who’ve just secured OVER their crowdfunding budget for their AI fruit fly tech. Find out more about the project and stay tuned for what’s next for these incredible founders HERE.
WE’VE MOVED! Not far, but you can find us in Room 2.21 at Flinders at Tonsley. Just head up the stairs or the lifts and we’re directly opposite. Come say hi!
We send out our newsletter fortnightly. It’s full of industry news, wins from our own startup and business communities and fantastic events and programs for you to get involved in.
Make sure you never miss another one by filling out the form below!